A lot of information has been communicated about winter damage, snow removal and lost turf at Oakland Hills. How much turf was lost? How many dead greens? Was the North damaged? How much does it cost to remove snow?
Much of the information regarding Oakland Hills in the public domain is incorrect. Here are the facts about this past winter, snow removal and our current status.
- We remove snow from the South greens every winter when we see a potential rise in temperature above 30 degrees. Some of the South greens are covered, some are not. We removed snow this winter after the early January snowstorm and before the meltdown of January 8-10. This action saved the South greens from more severe damage.
- Every green on the South sustained some damage, most of it minor. Greens 6, 8 and 12 suffered "serious" (10-15%) damage and only number eight is questionable. We are not playing to any temporary greens as of today, April 29th. Number eight may require a temporary green depending on the level of play. All of the South greens will recover in the next 2-4 weeks.
- The labor cost to remove snow on the South this winter was approx. $5,000.
- The extra equipment required to remove snow from the South greens adds approx. $20,000 to our equipment inventory.
- Each cover we use is approx. $3,000, depending on size.
- It takes 4 - 7 people to remove snow on the South Course.
- All of the South fairways incurred some ice damage and most of this will heal on its own.
- We do not currently remove snow on the North greens. All of the North greens sustained damage. Some of it severe with the most severe #15 green, approx. 30% turf loss.
- We will be playing to all of the North greens when we open on May 9th. There are currently no temporary greens on the North Course. The PG did not suffer any winter damage.
- There are no "dead" greens on either course.